Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Best songs of 2010, so far

Welcome back! Ron Bronson kicks off a quarterly-plus-three-weeks (more or less) review of the best music of 2010, according to us. Stay tuned for more from some of our other contributors soon.

You could be thinking, isn't a bit early for this? Well, it's a lot easier to write an annual list when you have three or four quarterly lists. What sounds good now might not be remembered in November, after all.

Rather than profile albums, I'll just give you a playlist of memorable songs. It's easier to write about songs and there are several albums that I doubt would make into an end of the year list that I think deserve a bit of praise for a track or two.

So here goes:

The xx - VCR


Jakob Dylan - Holy Rollers For Love


First Aid Kit - Sailor Song


The Tallest Man on Earth - Burden Of Tomorrow
The album "Wild Hunt" was released last week and there are easily three songs on that album that should be on this list, but I chose this one because I haven't played it on any other site of mine. Expect a review on this LP sooner or later.


Owen Pallet - Oh Heartland, Up Yours


Erykah Badu - Window Seat


The Watson Twins - Modern Man


April Smith & The Great Picture Show - Colors


Scout Niblett - The Calcination of Scout Niblett


Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man


Laura Veirs - July Flame
Ok, one note about this song. I've been a Laura Veirs fan for years now and finally saw her live last fall. She played a number of songs from the new album (and was offering it for sale, too...) and I wasn't partial to it when I first heard it. But the album grew on me when I heard it on wax. This song wasn't my favorite, but it eventually got stuck in my head and wouldn't leave.


Dr. Dog - Shadow People

1 comment:

  1. I'm obviously behind. Didn't realize that Jakob Dylan album had dropped already.

    I love xx and you picked the best tune from that album.

    I'm trying to get into Tallest Man on Earth. Some tremendous guitar craft, but I just can't quite get past that voice.

    ReplyDelete