Sunday, December 19, 2010

Personal Top 5 - Georgy Cohen

While travel, general life craziness and a busted laptop hampered my music enjoyment and discovery toward the end of this year, the bulk of 2010 luckily yielded enough awesome music to carry me through. It was a great year for my ears, and here's the best of the best:

David Byrne and Fatboy Slim - Here Lies Love

I was drawn to this album by the amazing and diverse list of contributors (Florence Welch, Steve Earle, Cyndi Lauper, Kate Pierson, Sharon Jones and Allison Moorer, to name a few) and was held rapt by the stories they told about the life of Imelda Marcos and the disco-infused beats and melodies that swirled around them. A fascinating project and an incredible collection of music, this is currently my favorite album of the year.












Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

From the moment I first heard the driving tour de force that is “Little Lion Man” on WERS, I was sold. The edgy amalgam of Americana-meets-UK folk rock is a galloping, emotional headrush. Their songs pulse with life and urgency and won’t be denied. This album feels essential, in part because the members of the band play and sing as if their lives depended on it.



Tracey Thorn - Love and its Opposite

Tim was raving about this album by the lead woman from Everything But the Girl, so I had to check it out. After listening through once streaming online, I had to buy it at the next available opportunity. Her voice is hypnotic, and these powerful songs are full of elegance and verve.



The Love Language – Libraries

The Love Language‘s “Libraries” recalls what I fell in love with about bands like The Kissaway Trail and Wild Light: earnest, melodic, and rich tracks, which founder Stuart McLamb calls “emotional fight songs.” One of my happiest surprises of the year.



John Shade – All You Love is Need

Shade, a Boston-area artist, approaches acoustic pop perfection. His songs ring true, seemingly coming from a genuine place without guile or malice. (Bonus: You can download his album for free, or name your own price.)

3 comments:

  1. Two more artists to reconsider: Tracey Thorn (since both you and Tim rate her so highly) and the David Byrne/Fatboy Slim project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff as usual, Georgy. Thanks for sharing. I liked The Love Language actually, even though I didn't rate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Heart to Tell" might be may favorite jam of the year. Great tune!

    ReplyDelete